2.07.2012

Post Due Feb. 7


First off, being a graphic design major I found the visual element of these videos to have a huge impact on where I would locate. In my major presentation is everything so for that reason I am going to choose the Saratoga Economic Development Model. I thought their video was the best constructed and most comprehensive. Sure, I think it might have been a little... “007-cheesy” but I think that they had the most relatable video and included the most information about the community as a whole. The outside perspectives also helped their case (i.e. President Obama speaking).

I do not think I would propose any new proposal to entice people to locate their. I think they have a very strong core to begin with. They focused on really showing they have thought about the core needs before developing. “Companies that come to this area will be able to serve multiple clients from multiple areas in a region. With the incentives that were provided to the global foundry site there now a tremendous amount of systems infrastructure, which there Saratoga County clients are looking for. We’ve done a water supply, we’ve done a power supply, and these capabilities exist in other sites in the Saratoga County area.” This shows that they have really thought about the future rather than just the moment they are in. I think just in general the Saratoga County economic development model attracts a higher-level of client that would tend to have a long-lived future in the community, which creates a stable local economy.

Now, as for the HOPE IV program for Saratoga County? I think there are a lot of pros and cons that go along with this program. At first I thought “Oh no, that wouldn’t be a good idea to have that program in this county.” However, after thinking about it for a little bit I actually would propose to have a HOPE IV community in Saratoga County. After watching the video about HOPE IV I think it, firstly, gives people who wouldn’t normally have a chance an opportunity to mesh themselves into this high-tech economy in Saratoga. With technology developing so rapidly I think that this kind of business will be around for a while and create (as stated before) a stable economy in the area. Saratoga County also has a vibrant core that was mentioned in the video. I think this would be the perfect place for the HOPE IV community to be. This would allow for multiple job opportunities and easy transportation to and from work. Overall, I think having a nicely developed HOPE IV community would bring a lot more (maybe not so big) business to the area and just give people a chance to help the community grow into the future.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica i thought it was very interesting how you choose to go with no proposal. I agree with you about how the Saratogo County development model really thought about the future instead if problems happening right now. However, you do not know what the future has in store and I feel that the development model should also think of a back up plan in the event that the stable economy they thought they has becomes not so stable.

    ReplyDelete